Tuesday, January 1, 2013

January 1st…Another New Year.


2 Corinthians 5:17-18 (NLT)
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold all things have become new. And all of this is a gift from God!

So Happy New Year to you all! 
I'm starting a new devotion this year called "Abundant Life Day Book: 365 Blessings to Begin Your Day" by Nancy Guthrie. I previewed a bunch of different devotions online and in the stores trying to figure out what would be just right for me. The "Jesus Calling" devotion more so just came into my life, given to me by a great friend. And this year I had to pick a new one based on what I liked about "Jesus Calling" and what I wanted/needed to hear from God this year. I had to pray about it too before I chose. It was quite a process for me. It was all about the question: "Where to next?"
I have been so anticipating this first day of reading it. I've just been so excited, like could not wait for this day to be able to open up this devotion and soak in all the God has waiting for me!

Today I read about how God is making us into a new person. God is always blessing us. "To be blessed is to have life--abundant overflowing life" (Guthrie vii). We need to realize that the fact that we are living, standing, breathing here today is a blessing from God. Each new day He gives you is a blessing. I am so excited to see what God is going to do in my life this year, but I have to remember to be thankful for each new day and breath that He gives me. I can't just go along living carelessly, taking advantage of the things He gives me.
There is more to a blessing, than God just giving you something for free. I know we all love free stuff, but we can't just walk off with it now in our possession like we do with a free t-shirt. We have to take it in, breathe in every bit of it, and thank God for it.
We all have the opportunity to be a new person this year, to become some one new and better. God will help you do that. Out with the old life and habits, in with the new. Give up the things that you did in your old life, the worldly pleasures and thoughts and habits. Get rid of them. You cannot possibly live two different lives and be happy. You cannot live a life of God with those old ways still on the side. It just doesn't work that way. It is about making sacrifices for God. I mean think about all the sacrifices He has made for you. Don't you think you can stand to give up a few little things in your old life for Him, so that you can become a new person? 
Be thankful that God gives you a fresh start. He gave you the new you as a gift, you didn't even have to work or do anything for it. He just gave it to you. How awesome is that? 

Final Thought: The best free stuff comes from God, be thankful for it; live for Him. What are you going to do with this New Year?

No comments:

Post a Comment