Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Fear Not

Acts 18:9-11 NLT
One night the Lord spoke to Paul in a vision and told him,“Don’t be afraid! Speak out! Don’t be silent! For I am with you, and no one will attack and harm you, for many people in this city belong to me.” So Paul stayed there for the next year and a half, teaching the word of God.

Some sources say that the phrase "do not be afraid" and/or "fear not" is in the Bible more than 365 times. How cool is that? There is one "do not be afraid" for every day of the year. Sure, there is some level of debate on this, however I'm sure the different wordings are not fully considered. I've read a couple places as well that fear is discussed 500 times in the KJV. I also think you could count the times that it says to "fear God" because this means not be afraid of anyone or anything else and to be reverent towards God. Anyways, thats all beside the point.
The point is that there are more than enough times in the Bible to tell us not to be afraid each day of the year. 
Do not be afraid of what your day holds, or what your future holds. Do not be afraid of other people, or what they may think of you [regardless of the situation]. Do not be afraid. Do not be afraid of anything. 

The most commonly thought of mention of "fear not" is probably the verse in Isaiah 41:10 or when the angel appears to Joseph, telling him not to be afraid. 

Isaiah 41:10 NLT
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. 

God is always holding your hand. God has got you. 

I challenge you to think of and find as many of the occurrences of a reassurance of fear in the Bible. And I challenge you to remember not to be afraid every step that you take. Think of how much bigger God is than the problem or situation you are facing. Ask Him to calm your fear and remind you of His strength in your life. 



No comments:

Post a Comment